Some words have changed their meaning in our lexicon as they have been used by specific groups. A word like privilege has become something that is associated with a group of people that isn’t repressed, versus the more traditional meaning of being granted a right that you earned.
Terms like “white privilege” invoke a powerful meaning that can’t be dismissed. As someone who is white, I understand that I am given an advantage due society’s biases and perceptions in a lot of situations. I also acknowledge that I am extremely lucky to have been put into a lot of good situations in my life.
Having said that, there is a huge amount of creep for what the meaning of privilege is now to some groups of people. “Privilege” has become a concept unto itself that is meant to encompass every thought and action for groups of people like the social justice warriors.
- Were you born a man? You should feel guilty for that privilege and atone publicly, non-stop.
- Were you born white? You should feel guilty for that privilege and atone publicly, non-stop.
- Were you born outside of poverty? You should feel guilty for that privilege and atone publicly, non-stop.
- Do you have arms that work? You have an advantage over everyone who doesn’t and you must atone now.
- Were you born with eyes? You are a horrible person, you need to atone.
- Can you breathe without the aid of a machine? This is an atrocity against the natural order, and since others don’t have this advantage you should post a 100,000,000 word essay on your guilt for being given this privilege.